Thursday, September 3, 2009


So the videos we watched in class brought up a rather scary topic. What will our future look like with the advancement of technology? The first issue that came to my mind is that it seems like in the years to come there will be no need for human interaction. Hovering around on a Lazy boy chairs like the charaters on Wall-E could very well become a possibility. There are already systems in place today that inhibit real social encounters like Facebook and Myspace. Facebook can be a great thing .It allows you to connect with people you haven't talked to in years. It also makes it easier to organize social events. But although the whole purpose of the site is to connect with other people, there is still an impersonal feeling to it. Rather than meeting people face to face or even picking up the phone, a great deal of conversations take place today on people's Facebook walls. Not to mention that these conversations don't necessarily go one way, it's now open for your entire friends' list to read. It brings up another scary issue, will we have any sense of privacy with the onset new rising technology? One of the videos brought up the possibility of a new computer product that could track anyone's location at any time of a day. Of course these videos are all conspiracy but it really makes you think about how dependent we are on technology now and how it will truly affect us in the future.

4 comments:

  1. I thought you made a good point towards the end that I hadn't really thought about. The more technology advances, the less we control we have over our own privacy. Even with facebook and twitter now, people can find out what we're doing, where, and with who. google earth can find your house! stuff like that is really creepy and only going to get worse lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. you brought up a really good point about our generation and our dependence on facebook and the internet. I think we need to get off the computer and do more face to face interaction. Our communication skills will never develop if we sit in front of a computer screen all day. This kind of worries me about our age group as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your reference to Wall-E, but on a serious note, I agree that although the internet helps us connect with people, we also lose our ability to interact in person with others. I believe that websites like facebook and myspace have their benefits, but for the most part, these websites just open the door to everyone's private lives and allows his or her's own privacy to be invaded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly my point. I liked the fact about how you mentioned we are dependent on technology now, and how it will affect us in the near future. I think that in some ways, it will have a positive impact on us because things will be so much more easy to access, but then again, it would also impact us in a negative way because as I mentioned in my own blog, machines will literally be in total demand.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog, "rants and ramblings". The title is pretty much self-explanatory, I just to like rant and ramble about I things I learn in my communications class and elsewhere. I'm a senior English major, and I love write. I'm hoping to find a career after I graduate where I can employ this love someway somehow!