Thursday, September 10, 2009

Creativity vs Society


The TED talks with Ken Robinson and Elizabeth Gilbert really struck a chord with me. Robinson beautifully expressed my exact frustrations with the education system today. In today's world, we're trained to not mistakes. Standardized tests are now a staple of the American education system, especially with No Child Left Behind in place. These standardized tests under the No Child Left Behind Act penalize schools for failing. The way I see it, mistakes are a necessary, if not mandatory, part of any education. Robinson brought up the concept of "genius". No one is a genius. People are experienced. They had to screw up and fail until they reached any kind of success. Schools not only discourage making mistakes, but they also downplay any classes that require creativity. And my question is...why? Subjects such as mathematics and science are extremely important, don't get me wrong. But why should subjects such as art and music be placed on the back burner? Students should be encouraged to do whatever they like to do, even if that means being a musician over an accountant. As an English major I can't help but identify with Elizabeth Gilbert. When I tell people I am an English major, I never fail to get the blank stare with preceded question, "What are you going to do with that? Do you want to be a teacher?".

I'm not sure exactly what I want to do, but I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm alright with trying my hands at a few things until I finally land upon a career where I will be able to wake up in the morning with a smile on my face.

I just started a PR internship at Lost Records label in Elkins Park, and I am enjoying my time there so far. They have a blog as well, and sometimes I write on it, so you should check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog, "rants and ramblings". The title is pretty much self-explanatory, I just to like rant and ramble about I things I learn in my communications class and elsewhere. I'm a senior English major, and I love write. I'm hoping to find a career after I graduate where I can employ this love someway somehow!