Thursday, October 22, 2009

Imma do the things that I wanna do

I look back at my use of the internet since I was a wee lil' 8 year old, and realized that my main purpose of using the internet was for social purposes. Remember the days when people still used and paid for America Online? I do. I especially remember not even being able to instant message people, because my dad unfortunately signed me up for "Kids Only" settings. So I had to resort talking to my friends through e-mail and chat-rooms. Ah...memories.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that what seemed like a useless form of entertainment at the time, now serves as a permanent form in memory. Why? Because my use of the internet and the social tools out there have made major and not so major impacts on my life. I can still remember some conversations that took place 5 years ago through IM. Some of these conversations back in the day would have to take place face to face, but I resorted to having these conversations online. I can still remember unnecessary "drama" that took place between my friends that came up in the first place because of MySpace.

My generation pretty much grew up online. We most definitely part of the "Content Nation". It's fun to think of what we were able to experience as a result of social media, but at the same time it's still a whole new frontier to take on as there are no mistakes from previous generations to learn from. The Star Wars Kid we talked about in class is a perfect example. Another incident is about this one teenage girl a couple of years who committed suicide over a cruel prank played on her on Myspace. It's really no question that social media has brought both positive and negative consequences into our lives.

One good thing about YouTube? Music videos. Like this one from Weezer...

1 comment:

  1. I certainly agree with you..the social media has clearly made a difference in the lives of many people..I just hope that the number of negative impacts created through the social media decreases over time.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog, "rants and ramblings". The title is pretty much self-explanatory, I just to like rant and ramble about I things I learn in my communications class and elsewhere. I'm a senior English major, and I love write. I'm hoping to find a career after I graduate where I can employ this love someway somehow!