Tomorrow I leave for the Apppalachian Experience. So I'm getting antsy. It's kind of all I can think about. For the entire week, me and a group of students from St. Joe's wll be headed to Roanoke, Va to do some good ol' community service.
This is the third year I'm participating. The other two experiences I have been on were so rewarding and life changing for so many reasons. One of the great things about these two trips was immersing myself in the culture in the southern Appalachian region, and getting to know the people in the town. Both trips were almost culture shocks for me, someone who grew up in Philadelphia her whole life. Traveling down south, personally for me, is like going to a different country. Yet these places aren't too far from where I live, there's still such a diversity between our ways of life.
I can't wait to go to Roanoke tomorrow, and hopefully meet and help a whole new group of people, and I know will learn so much.
Neon, Kentucky

Alleghany Highlands, Virginia

No comments:
Post a Comment