
Beauty magazines. I admit it...I read them...often. I've been reading them as long as I can remember actually. Growing up in my awkward teen years I looked to all these magazines for solutions to all my problems. These magazines promised to make me beatiful and to make guys fall in love with me because guys love it when you're beautiful. But what these magazines define as beautiful is impossible and almost out of every girl's reach.
I've come to realize that every beauty magazine usually follows the same format:
1. First couple of pages are about gorgeous celebrities that I'll never look like.
2. Another section of pages of expensive beauty products that promise to buy you happiness.
3. Ways to please your man. How to make guys like you. Quotes from random guys saying, "I hate when my girlfriend does this...", etc.
4. "Health" section aka what kind of salads to make to lose weight. Because losing weight=happiness.
5. Skinny airbrushed model shoots.
6. Horoscopes. (I like horoscopes.)
I always buy and read these magazines, but I always feel like *crap* afterwards. I don't have money to buy all these clothes or buy all this makeup, so I will never be happy and guys won't like me.
As I grow up I realize that beauty magazines are a complete illusion and they rely entirely on false advertising. Just because I buy the clothes in the maagzine, this won't make me happy. Keeping guys do's and don't's of what they like in girls will only make me more insecure and not be myself around someone I like.
I just think it's kind of funny. We read these magazines and read to see what supposedly all guys like and try to change our ways. What do guys read? Playboy. Guys don't read magazines on changing their personalities and looks to get us to like them. They just look at naked pictures of us. It doesn't make sense, really.
*End rant.

I totally agree these magazines are bullshit haha But they are fun to look at sometimes. My best friend and I used to love to sneak Cosmos when we were younger and read each other the embarassing stories sections. That's at least one section that made us laugh instead of feel like crap.
ReplyDeleteWe should just invest our time and money in things that we love to do because we like them not because some guy thinks it's hot or because another girl will be envious. And seriously who can really afford to buy the things they put in Cosmo and Elle magazine anyway?!?!
I like how you compared men reading Playboy to women reading things like Cosmo. It's awful how there are sections of women's magazines that tell women that they should change to please a guy, instead of telling women how to better themselves for their own happiness. Women should not want to do something to impress another guy; rather, they should be themselves and attract someone who genuinely likes their real personality.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you wrote about this and were thinking about it. When you see one of these things lying around - don't even pick it up. Just say no. :)
ReplyDelete