Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Case Study: Twitter

Here check out my slide presentation on Twitter:



So for the past month I have started using and experimenting with Twitter. Before I didn't really understand Twitter...at all. What's the point of having a total seperate site with Facebook statuses, when you can get that on Facebook? But alas I was proven wrong...Twitter ain't too bad. I've learned by writing my own little blurbs under 140 character or less for my classmates to read turned out to be kind of fun. Then again, I'm easily amused. Following my classmates as well celebrities ranging from Britney Spears to Mindy Kaling can actually be pretty entertaining. Also it's yet another website that will help me procrastinate and distract me from doing anything sort of productive.

Celebrities especially love to use Twitter and I emphasized that in my presentation. It's such an easy form of promotion! And I'm all of it, because it's kind of honest in a way. For the most part these promotions come from the celebrities themselves, and plus I choose to follow them in the first place. Nothing's shoved down my throat.

But Twitter can hold more value than just a form of entertainment. This is another point I stressed in my presentation. Twitter is becoming a whole news source in itself. Anyone can be a reporter through the use of the internet and I find that amazing. People can protest Prop 8 or Iranian elections. Victims of the 2008 earthquake in China can warn others quick and fast.

So is Twitter successful? Yes! Very much so. In fact, Twitter's success only continues to grow day by day. And honestly? If Twitter became the new Facebook like Facebook became the new Myspace, I don't think I would mind too much. After all, the only reason why I even go on Facebook nowadays is to read other people's statuses. I could do without the constant invitations to Farmville and the notifications of people being tagged in photo albums that I won't look at. Oh this girl I went to grade school with got drunk this weekend and took over 500 pictures of herself? I don't care. I've had my fair share of Facebook stalking, and I'm pretty over it by now. Twitter seems to be a more healthy and convienent way to stay in contact with other people.

And the only way to have fun on Twitter is to follow others and have others follow you! This is what I tried to illustate in my visual map.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog, "rants and ramblings". The title is pretty much self-explanatory, I just to like rant and ramble about I things I learn in my communications class and elsewhere. I'm a senior English major, and I love write. I'm hoping to find a career after I graduate where I can employ this love someway somehow!